Catholic Churches officiated in English
1. The Church of Sant’Ambrogio (Nigerian community)
The history of the Nigerian Catholic community in Rome began in 1997 with Fr Patrick Alumuku who for 3 years, until 2000, led the pastoral care of his countrymen. The meeting place was initially the Church of Santa Maria in Trastevere, but the community with P. Robert currently in charge, now has its official seat in the church of Sant'Ambrogio, Via Sant'Ambrogio, n. 5 (near Via delle Botteghe Oscure/Dark Shops). He, besides Holy Mass in English every Sunday, coordinates the various activities of meeting with the faithful Nigerians who live scattered throughout Rome.
It is the mother church of Nigerian Roman Catholics in Rome and indeed all of Italy.
Mass on Sundays at 10.00 am, located at via Sant’Ambrogio, n. 5 – 00186 Rome.
Directions: departure from Rome, Piazza dei Cinquecento 1, walk 150 meters go to stop TERMINI (MA-
Get off at stop ARGENTINA walk 400 meters until via di Sant' Ambrogio, n. 5
2. Saint John the Baptist (Nigerian community at Cesano, near Rome)
Cesano is a small medieval village, situated on a hill just outside of Rome, surrounded by the Monti Sabatini and very close to Lake Bracciano and Lake Martignano. Inside the village, Piazza Francesco Caraffa, stands the parish of St. John the Baptist, the original church of the seventeenth century.
Tel. 06 30430098
Mass on Sundays 12.00 am. For Nigerians. Located at Via della Stazione di Cesano, n. 402, 00123 Rome.
Departures FR3 (Cesano): 8.19, 8.49, 9.19, 9.49
Departures FR3 (Bracciano): 8.34, 9.34, 10.34, 11.34
Get off at Cesano, walk 700 meters to via the station of Cesano, n. 402
3. Saint Simon and Jude Thaddeus (Nigerian church, via Casilina)
It is a modern parish church at Via di Torrenova, n. 162 in the suburb of Torre Angela, which is in between the Via Prenestina and Via Casilina just east of the Circonvallazione Orientale.
The dedication is to the two apostles Simon and Jude. It was completed in 1992. At first glance the plan is based on an oval, not an ellipse, with the pointed end at the entrance. However, it is actually an irregular decaoctagon (eighteen sides), with the pitched roof having a flat section for each side, which slope up to meet at a peaked cross-
The roof has a deep overhang over the low exterior wall, which has a concrete pilaster on each corner, a small rectangular window in each side and is coloured light grey. The entrance is surrounded by a border made up of ten square coloured panels, each showing green, ochre and red concentric squares.
Service: Sundays at 10.00 am, located at via di Torre Nova, n 162 Torre Angela, 00133 – Rome.
4. San Silvestro in Capite
The Basilica of Saint Sylvester the First also known as (Italian: San Silvestro in Capite, Latin: San Silvestri in Capite) is a Roman Catholic minor basilica and titular church in Rome dedicated to Pope Saint Sylvester I. It is located on Piazza San Silvestre, on the corner of Via del Gambero and the Via della Mercede, and stands adjacent to the central Post Office, while across the Piazza stands Santi Claudio e Andrea dei Borgognoni.
Built in the 8th century as a shrine for the relics of the saints and martyrs from the Catacombs, the church is the National church of Great Britain. The Latin words "in capite" refers to the canonical title of Pope Sylvester the First, to which in capite means in First, in Chief, or in Head. By honorific coincidence, the basilica is also famous for enshrining a fragmented head purported to be Saint John the Baptist, putatively kept as a relic, in a chapel to the left of the entrance. A second Roman church dedicated to Saint Sylvester is San Silvestro al Quirinale.
Mass on Sundays at 10.00 am and 5.30 pm at Piazza di San Silvestro, 00187 – Rome.
Directions (from Termini station): Take bus 175, get off at the seventh stop (S. Claudio).
5. The Church of Santa Susanna
It is an American Catholic Church. Santa Susanna's Church is a beautiful and historic place of worship, whose every feature is steeped in the history, art, and architecture of the Christian faith as it has been lived over the centuries in Rome.
Open everyday from 9.00 am to 12.00 am and 4.00 pm to 7.00 pm. Services in English weekdays and Saturdays. The church is located at Via XX Settembre, n. 15, 00187 –Rome
Fax: 06.4201.4328; 06.474.0236
Directions: Buses n. 60, 61, 62, 175 and 492 stop in the Largo Santa Susanna next to the church.
Buses 16, 60, 61, 62, 175, 492 and 910 stop on the Via Venti Settembre, a block from the church.
Buses 40, 60, 64 and 170 stop on the Via Nazionale at the Hotel Quirinale two blocks away.
The Metro stop is Repubblica on Line A, walk one block up the Via Orlando to the church.
There is parking in the Largo Santa Susanna/Piazza San Bernardo in front of the church.
6. St Patrick's Church
It is the Irish National Catholic church in Rome. For over 1500 hundred years Rome was without a church dedicated to St. Patrick. However, on the 1st of February 1888 this was rectified and the foundation stone of the present church was laid. The man with the dream was Fr. Patrick Glynn, an Augustinian from Limerick, who was based in the Augustinian Church of Santa Maria in Posterula. However, it took another 23 years before the church was completed and opened on St. Patrick’s Day 1911.
Rector: Fr. Tony Finn OSA.
Mailing Address: St. Patrick’s, Via Piemonte 60, 00187-
Church Address: Via Boncompagni 31, 00187 -
Telephone: + 39 06 42903787
Fax: + 39 06 42917055
Mass in English every Sunday at 10.00 am and in Italian for the local community at 11.30 am. It is located at Via Piemonte, 60 -
Other Christian Churches (officiated in English) and Religious Associations
1) All Saints Anglican Church
For over 160 years, starting from 1816, Anglican worship has been offered regularly in Rome by clergy of the Church of England. All Saints’ life, like that of all Christian communities is based on serving God and neighbour. By following Jesus Christ, they worship together, study the bible, offer pastoral care, work together with other Christian communities for social justice, and pray for the coming of God’s kingdom. They are part of the Church of England's Diocese of Europe that is made up of more than 150 Chaplaincies throughout continental Europe and even beyond.
It draws attention to the real ministry All Saints' offers to tourists and pilgrims, and if many can only attend on one Sunday during what is usually a fairly brief stay, they are indeed welcome. All Saints' has for some years been fully integrated into joint action with other English-
The Church Office operates between 9.00 am and 3.00 pm from Monday to Friday. For general queries please contact: +39 06 36001881 or send us an email on: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The church is located at Via del Babuino 153/b, 00187 – Rome, with a variety of services on offer.
2) Bible Baptist Church
Rome Baptist Church is a multicultural English–speaking body of believers in Jesus Christ in Rome. They are committed to obeying and glorifying God, proclaiming the Good News of Jesus Christ, growing together in His likeness, and reaching out to the community through Bible-
Twelve people met in the worship room at Piazza San Lorenzo in Lucina, 35 in Rome on 12th August 1962. This was the beginning of what is now the Rome Baptist Church. The church was formally organized on 10th March 1963 with 15 charter members. Rome Baptist Church today is an international evangelical church in the heart of Rome and its congregation is comprised of people from all over the world. We come from different nations and denominations. The church is located in a palazzo owned by the Italian Baptist Union (UCEBI). This building was once part of Palazzo Ruspoli, originally built in the 16th century. It is said that the site where the church now stands was once the stable for the Ruspoli family horses.
Rome Baptist Church
Piazza San Lorenzo in Lucina, n. 35
Phone: +39 06 687 6652
Rome Baptist is located at Piazza San Lorenzo in Lucina, n. 35. The piazza is located off Via del Corso that connects Piazza del Popolo and Piazza Venezia. This area is part of Rome’s historical center, and is located near the main shopping district and various tourist attractions, such as the Pantheon and the Trevi fountain.
Sunday services: Bible study at 9.30 am and English service at 10.30 am.
Directions (from Termini station): The church is located a short walk from the Spagna stop (located at the Spanish Steps) on the Red line/ Linea A. ATAC, the company that runs the buses offers a handy tool that you can use to find out which bus(es) you need to use to get to Rome Baptist.
3) St. Andrew Church of Scotland
St Andrew's Church is a congregation of the Church of Scotland in Rome, Italy, belonging to the Church's Presbytery of Europe. The current minister is Rev. William B. McCulloch.
The congregation began in the early 1860s with a small group of Scots and American Presbyterians who met in the neighborhood of the Spanish Steps. A first building was opened in 1871 near the Porta Flaminia. The present building, about half way between the Piazza della Repubblica and the Palazzo del Quirinale, was opened early in 1885.
Planning permission was granted only on condition that the building should not from the outside look like a church. Hence the architecture is similar to that of the various Italian government ministries in the same street. The building is set back a little from the street, with an enclosed forecourt, and is constructed on four levels. The church itself takes up the whole of the ground floor; above this are offices, a manse, and a broad roof terrace with views over the Vatican City.
St Andrew's Church in Rome has for many years been home to Christians from many different traditions and lands. They come together every Sunday as a family; the universality of God’s love is truly celebrated in their worship.
Service is at 11.00 am on Sundays. Bible studies are held each Thursday. The church is located at Via XX Settembre, n. 7, 00187 – Rome.
Tel. +39 06.4827627; fax +39 06.25496350
Directions (from Termini station): take the metro A line (towards Battistini), get off at Repubblica stop.
4) Federation of Protestant Churches in Italy
The Federation of Evangelical Churches in Italy (Federazione delle Chiese Evangeliche in Italia, FCEI) is a Protestant body in Italy, formed in 1967.
The federation includes the historical Protestant churches of Italy: the Union of Methodist and Waldensian Churches (united body comprising the Waldensian Evangelical Church and the Methodist Churches in Italy, 35,000 members), the Baptist Evangelical Christian Union of Italy (15,000), the Lutheran Evangelical Church in Italy (7,000), and other minor churches. The FCEI has a total membership of 140,000. The body includes also two observer members with a large following: the Federation of Pentecostal Churches (50,000 members) and the Italian Union of Seventh-
5) International Christian Fellowship
ICF Rome began on Easter Sunday, 1988, with a commitment to bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ and form a faith community among the English-
ICF has ministered to thousands of foreign visitors and residents of Rome; from refugees to diplomats, from literally every part of the world. Today, ICF is composed of 250 regular members from more than 45 nations.
Since 1988 ICF has continually been involved in the planting of new churches throughout Italy. Bible schools have been established for the training of church leaders and pastors. Fellowship has developed with Italian churches and joint ministry projects established.
In 2008 ICF moved to a permanent location in the heart of the Marconi zone of Rome, where ministry happens 7 days a week.
Prayer groups, Bible study groups, women and young adult groups all use the worship center during the course of the week. Evangelism training and Global University classes are also conducted weekly. The worship center also provides office space, an English library, a Prayer room, and Gospel literature for distribution in many languages.
An International Pentecostal Church associated with the Assemblies of God U.S.A.
Sunday services at 11.00 am and Tuesday prayer meetings at 7.00 pm. It is located at Via Guido Castelnuovo, n. 28, 00146 -
6) Methodist Church Ponte Sant’Angelo
Ponte Sant’Angelo Methodist Church (PSA) is an English-
PSA is a Methodist congregation belonging to the Italian Methodist -
The building was originally owned by the Friars of St. Celsus, but was bought by the Italian Free Church and dedicated as a protestant place of worship by Alessandro Gavazzi, Garibaldi’s protestant chaplain, on 18th March 1877. At that time the building housed not only the worship sanctuary, but also a theological college, junior and infant schools and a library. Whilst Gavazzi ran the theological college, Ludovico Conti served as pastor to the congregation. The schools, which occupied parts of the building since sold off, attracted 3,521 pupils in 1904, but the junior school closed in 1907 and the infant school in 1912. In September of that same year the church itself also closed. These closures were as a result of rationalizations after the union of the Italian Free church with The Italian Methodist Church in 1905.
However, in 1919 the Methodist superintendent minister, an Englishman named the Rev Edgar Braford, decided to reopen the church on this strategic site. The church was later remodeled to its present layout in 1934 under the leadership of pastor Emanuele Sbaffi. Since 1955 the services have been in English to cater for the multinational Anglophone community resident in Rome and visiting tourists.
At present approximately one third of them come from countries in Africa (predominantly West Africa), a third from the Philippines and a third from the rest of the world, which includes people from Indonesia to America, Australia and across Europe.
Methodist church with a service in English at 10.30 am on Sunday, located directly opposite the end of Ponte Sant’ Angelo across the bridge from the famous Castel Sant’ Angelo at Piazza di Ponte Sant’ Angelo 68. The side door to the church is found in Via del Banco di Santo Spirito, n. 3, 00186 -
7) Anglican Center in Rome
The Anglican Centre in Rome was founded in 1966, and is located in the historic centre of Rome a few minutes from the Vatican. It is a UK charity, but its work is for Anglicans across the world.
Its Director acts as the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Representative to the Holy See, but he is available to the whole Anglican Communion. The Centre includes a library, a reading/seminar room, and a chapel dedicated to St Augustine of Canterbury.
It is located at Piazza del Collegio Romano, 2 (Palazzo Dora Pamphili), 00186 -
• Coming from Termini Station, stop at Piazza Venezia (just coming into the Piazza, where the word Termini is written on your map: ask the bus driver or a passenger “Piazza Venezia?” and they should indicate when you get off).
• Coming from St Peter’s Station, the bus will circle Piazza Venezia (which you can recognize by the huge white Vittorio Emanuele building on one side) and stop just about where the word Termini appears on your map.
Then, following the map and asking directions as needed, walk down Via del Corso, and turn left into Via Lata, a short road which takes you into Piazza del Collegio Romano. Veer to the left hand side of the piazza and half way along to Via della Gatta. See below for entry instructions.
7. The Redeemed Christian Church of God
The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) is a Pentecostal Holiness denomination. The RCCG was founded in 1952 by Nigerian pastor Josiah Akindayomi (1909–1980) after he had been involved in several other churches. The RCCG’s Mission Statement is:
To get to heaven, they say, "holiness will be our lifestyle". To accomplish the other two, they will "plant churches within five minutes walking distance in every city and town of developing countries and within five minutes driving distance in every city and town of developed countries". The church intends to pursue these objectives" until every Nation in the world is reached for the Lord Jesus Christ".
Service: Sundays 10.00 am, Tuesdays prayer meeting at 5.30 pm and Thursday Bible Study at 5.30 pm, located at via Carcaricola, 47/49, 00133 –Rome.
Directions: Departure from Rome, Piazza dei Cinquecento, go to stop Termini Laziali, take tram GIARDINETTI for 18 stops get off at stop Giardinetti Walk 100 meters go to stop CASILINA/GIARDINETTI take Line No 105 (STAZ.NE GROTTE CELONI) for 2 stops. get off at stop CASILINA/CARCARICOLA walk 250 meters to Rome via di Carcaricola , 47